Monday, February 5, 2018

when life hands you several challenges, pick an easy one and get started

Recent work in my sewing space:
my quilt guild's challenge.




We were given a fat quarter of the tiny check fabric you see above. I've added the dimension of using only fabrics in my stash. My plan: use several deep tones plus some of my rich Amish black.
Some time ago I won a bundle of assorted fat quarters from the Grunge collection by Moda. It's very popular in quilt shops right now and I did use some of it in the quilts I made for Africa. But I really don't like how they play with other fabrics but when I flipped them over to their gorgeous back sides they were just right.






Searching  in my tear sheets notebook I found a pattern called The Goose is Loose that just might work for this. Since I really, really enjoy drafting my own patterns from pictures I did a basic plan on graph paper. Flying geese units are twice as wide as they are tall so the math is relatively simple.


The bed in the guest room is my design wall for the time being. I've been playing with the color arrangement of the center portion of the quilt. There are pinwheels that form where units come together that are made obvious by arranging the blocks just so. What is laid out here is just the center design of the pattern. Next up, the outer borders.
Oh, and I think the back of this quilt will use lots more of the Grunge.
What challenges have you been embracing as January has slipped into February?
.





1 comment:

  1. This is what we tough Vermonters do!s is gorgeous, Sharon! I LOVE it! I've been a fan of black as a neutral since forever.
    Just getting through the day sometimes feels like a mammoth challenge. But I persist! Because that's what us tough Vermonters do! xoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete