Monday, December 12, 2011

G is for gaudete sunday

Gaudete in Domino semper: iterum dico, gaudete
Rejoice in the Lord always: again I say rejoice.

I've been in love with Latin since studying it in high school. No, actually, I've been in love with Latin since  my earliest memories of attending mass. I truly miss hearing it in worship and was pleased to be reminded of it yesterday.


I'm once again at the city house. I arrived on Saturday as a surprise for Jerome. His church choir, accompanied by a string quartet, was to present Bach's Christmas contata, For Unto Us a Child Is Born, during worship the following morning and I wanted to be there for him and for me. The worship folder for the service contained the above quotation and at the lighting of the advent wreath we were all reminded of the third Sunday's rose colored candle of joy, the gaudete candle.





If you look closely at his baton lying across the score, you can perhaps imagine the breadth of its history. I am delighted that he is once again directing a choir. He is truly gifted as a director.  Yesterday I witnessed just how much he is already loved there, after just short of a year in the position. The tiny choir, 8 voices, was so moved by the combination Bach and Butera that we were all brought right into that lowly manger. 
Gaudete.

1 comment:

  1. How beautiful, Sharon. What a talented family you have!
    I, too, love Latin, and studied it right through high school and college. I'm so glad you're there with Jerome and enjoyed such a joyful performance!

    ReplyDelete