Monday, March 7, 2011

a peek

I leave tomorrow for a short visit with Jerome and a trip to the Chicagoland Flower and Garden Show with my friend Barb on Wednesday at Navy Pier on the lakefront. The weather here and there is supposed to be horrid, but I wouldn't miss this flower show for anything.  This will be just a quick trip, since I'll be back by Thursday.  But before I go I wanted to share just a glimpse from my postcard, which was mailed today to Jan in Vancouver, Washington.
The overall theme for the postcards was love, which could be depicted in any way using some sewing technique. My mind's unifying idea was "Love is living and sharing your passions." I decided to represent many of the fiber crafts that I so enjoy. One of the elements of what eventually became a sampler just had to be a quilt. Below you see the paper pieced bird on a branch quilt I made which measures just 2 1/2 inches square.  


Some of the other elements you can see in this upper right hand corner are rubber stamping (all the tiny flowers of the central wreath) calligraphy, and crocheting (the hand made "lace" trim.)
I thoroughly enjoyed sewing this tiny bird! 
I'll have a more thorough posting later, but I just had to share this little bit.

3 comments:

  1. Sharon, your stitching and stamping skills are exquisite! I bet your postcard swap partner will be thrilled to bits with the time and effort you have put into the project. Thank you for the comment on my blog. Yes, you did spot the henhouse in my garden. It is only tiny as I only have 3 hens although it is supposed to house 6-10 birds! Enjoy your trip. I look forward to your posts when you return.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon, I love your blog. I really enjoy the friendship that blogging creates. I finally started one of my own this January. Judy Hartman inspired me to finally do it. I look forward to reading yours as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you shared this Sharon! LOVE this sweet little bird - what a lovely pattern! And your calligraphy, stamping and crochet work is beautiful. Fortunate the person who receives this postcard!!
    Hope you are having a lovely trip!

    ReplyDelete