Tuesday, January 4, 2011

the gift of the present



Growing up, my best friend's last name was Janus. So this name has meant much to me since I was 8 years old. Attending an all girls Catholic high school in the 60s meant I studied Latin. Of course I never really was encouraged to learn the juiciest information about the gods and goddesses we studied. We were protected girls after all. However, I did learn that January was named for the god Janus who had faces on the front and back of his head, giving him the singular ability of viewing where he had been and where he was going at the same time. I've always felt rather sorry for Janus. Poor fellow, did he ever see exactly where he was at any given time? January, this month of "last year I should have..." "this year I hope to..." distracts alarmingly from the now. We look back to the recent holiday memories and wish they hadn't flown. We look ahead to spring and yearn to smell the rich, moist soils of April. Our hearts looking past and future. Here at the beginning of 2011, can I once again promise myself to live in the moment, carpe diem, seize the day?  Can you? My new year's hope for all of us is to learn to open today as the present it is meant to be.

3 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful message, Sharon. Although I do love to make goals, I agree with the fact that the present moment is a precious thing. And your photo is beautiful.
    From another all-girls-Catholic-school graduate who took four years of Latin, I will echo your enthusiastic "Carpe Diem"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stopped by to inform you that you have been given a Stylish Blogger Award! It works like tag post. Just share 7 things about yourself and pay it forward to other 15 blogs that you like.

    Here’s my post if you’re interested in playing along!
    http://mygiantstrawberry.blogspot.com/2011/01/stylish-blogger-awards.html

    I'm so glad that you're blogging!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sharon,
    I linked to your blog on mine today. Hope you like what I wrote.
    Have a great week!
    Judy

    ReplyDelete